Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Way too Comfortable! A typical person eats roughly 4,500 calories on Thanksgiving Day.

Since I've stopped Weight Watchers in The first week of October I've probably fluctuated up and down 2lbs which I think is totally awesome. I've noticed I love the feeling of not having to count every single morsel of food I bring to my lips but in doing so my weight has not budged. I have continued to have pretty good eating habits. I eat normal throughout the day and still have my normal Saturday splurge. I've decided I want to lose about 20 more lbs. Even though I have become way to comfortable with my eating habits and myself I am still not comfortable with my appearance. As a woman I believe we are all our worst critics. We beat ourselves down to look like what we think is "perfect". Becoming comfortable with ourselves is a challenge. In my opinion once you have a problem with food, which eventually becomes an image problem it never really gets solved. I always find myself looking in the mirror pinching myself and sizing myself up and down to see if I've become my "perfect". But what really is perfect? I mean, no one is really perfect, or are they? I just thought I'd bring up this issue since the holidays are around the corner. I don't want to get too comfortable at the table during the holidays so I thought I'd share some tips on how we can stay in our skinny jeans over the holidays this year! My plan for the holidays is not to deprive myself of what I want. I am going to eat smaller portions while still getting to taste a little of everything. My main goal is to stop when I'm FULL..Happy Holidays!!

Easy Ways To Make Healthier Food Choices on Thanksgiving:
  • Turkey - It's a good choice if cooked without butter. Use a little olive oil and spices like thyme and sage for a tasty, but healthier meat.
  • Sweet Potatoes - Swap mashed potatoes and sweet potato casseroles for a simple baked sweet potato. They are full of flavor, vitamins and fiber, without the fat.
  • Vegetables - Even veggies can be bad for you if you cook them in butter. Ditch the green bean casserole and corn and serve steamed veggies or a salad with a light vinagrette dressing.
  • Jello- Keep it simple and use only fat-free, sugar-free versions to bring color and flavor to your Thanksgiving meal.
  • Rolls - If you must have bread with your meal, make sure it is whole wheat so you get the nutrients you need from it. Either skip the butter altogether or add asmall amount of smart balance light or a similar butter-tasting product.
  • Dessert - Try fruit, sugar-free pudding, no-sugar-added apple pie or a lowfat pumpkin cheesecake to end on a sweet note without ending your diet.

Here are some things you can cut or replace on Thanksgiving Day to reduce your caloric intake:

  • Skip the roll and save 150 calories.
  • Hold the butter and save 185 calories.
  • Replace the sweet potato casserole with a plain baked sweet potato and save 280 calories.
  • Replace pumpkin pie with a low fat pumpkin cheesecake and save 350 calories.
  • Skip snacking on chip and save 150 calories per serving.
  • Skip nibbling on just 2 cookies and save 240 calories.
  • Skip the butter on your veggies and steam them to save 185 calories.
  • Replace cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries and save 370 calories.

Keep in mind that eating sweets can make you crave sweets. So if you think it is harmless to eat sweets just this one day, think again. Fro some people it can set them back for days, weeks or even months because the sugar cravings are difficult to ignore.


Stop When You're Full: It sounds obvious, but stopping when you're full is probably one of the harder things to do at the Thanksgiving table when everyone else is helping themselves to seconds. It will be easier to stop if you slow down, drink water,

Say No: Some people show their love through food. Others may feel threatened by your diet and pile food onto your plate because it makes them feel better about themselves. What you put in your body is your business. Rehearse politely saying "no" in your head. If you've let your hosts know that you're on a diet, they shouldn't take offense at your abstaining from another round of gravy-soaked mashed potatoes.

Eat Slowly: It takes 20 minutes for your brain to register that you're full. So, savor your food, drink lots of water and slow down. Give your mind a chance to catch up with your body.

Wear Snug Clothing
: Choose a snug pair of jeans over comfy sweatpants for your dinner attire. Once you start feeling the pinch of your waistline, you'll definitely stop eating.

No comments: