Friday, October 31, 2008


Mmm...I sure do love candy!! Chewy, chocolatey, crunchy, sticky, stuck in your teeth, delicious candy! The holidays are just around the corner and Halloween is a day that can mean a lot of temptations that may sabotage your dieting dreams. I had to make a pit stop in front of my mirror today and ask myself "Is it really worth the splurge"? The little devil on my right shoulder said Mmmm Sara you know you love the way Swedish fish get caught in just the right places in between your teeth and the little angel on my left shoulder was posting pictures of me in a fat suit on the walls of my brain. So the moral of the story is Do you really need to eat your entire pillow case of candy? The answer is NO! check out these calorie conscious swaps I've listed for your sweet pleasures.

"Two hundred calories is a sensible splurge once in a while. One hundred calories is low enough to eat every day,". Here's what 200 calories looks like:
  • 2 to 3 snack-size or fun-size bars
  • 5 Hershey's Assorted Miniatures
  • 9 Hershey's Kisses
  • Two 100-calorie packs o' goodies (popping up everywhere this Halloween!)
Candy wreaks havoc on your metabolism, and processed sugar will really slow down your metabolism. When you eat high amounts of processed sugar and candy, your digestive system gets stressed out and your body has a harder time burning fat. Below are some tips to help you avoid gaining too many extra pounds because of trick or treating.

Tip #1: Eat a balanced meal before going trick-or-treating!

Tip #2: Workout before going out!

Tip #3: Eat a piece of fruit before you eat a piece of candy.

Tip #4: Give away the excess.

Tip #5: Don't eat any candy at all!

If you really MUST indulge in some delicious Halloween treats try eating a healthy breakfast such as granola with milk and a sensible lunch and dinner such as a turkey sandwich or some grilled chicken with veggies. After eating sensibly throughout the day those guilty pleasures won't seem so guilty after all!


Disclaimer: I am neither a Registered Dietician nor a Doctor. I am only providing insight and advice from my own personal experiences.

No comments: